Sunday, December 30, 2012

Beans

It's complicated that I love chili but I don't like beans, that in order to love chili, I must embrace the beans, too (this year's greatest metaphor, right?). It's complicated to say that life was complicated in 2012 when, at the end of the day, it was, by love's definition, blessed. So here's to this year's beans...and the rest of the hidden metaphorical, photographical, meaningful moments of 2012. I present the second annual Year of Light in photographs (you can look at last year's here, and see how much more mature things have gotten, even though I'm talking about beans right now).

JANUARY
This lightness happened while visiting two of the greatest young men I know, 
on the outskirts of Seward, Nebraska.

FEBRUARY
This is Luftwerk's Luminous Field in Chicago, where many things were
illuminated and luminous, like the city itself.

MARCH
This is Momma Auten and Brother Bear during Tyler's first trip to Chicago.

APRIL
This happened. Where else but Carol Joy Holling Camp.
"Too much camera time."

MAY
These people, I tell you. This summer, I tell you. 
Hashtag awesome.

JUNE
That face. These Kids. And Broseph at Sullivan Hills Camp.
They must have chased him around for a solid hour.

JULY
This is how I feel about Seward, Nebraska, and it was taken
during my first 4th of July there with my best friends.

AUGUST
This is me in a touristy shot in Chicago.  
The irony is that I am no longer a tourist.

SEPTEMBER
This is a happy giant Litebrite. It happened during Chicago's 
Art on Trackwhich took place on the elevated train.

OCTOBER
This photo marks the beginning of my Dad's mobile phone photography career.

NOVEMBER
This was a celebration of friend love outside of a Wendy's in Leavenworth, Kansas, 
where I found my way back to my convictions about photography
even though this was taken with a cell phone. 
No matter because this moment needed to happen and be recorded.


What I'm trying to say is don't overlook the beans in the chili (as in, to be all un-original about it, don't overlook the moments within this gargantuan bowl of life, for your life is fearfully and wonderfully made). And make sure you find someone who loves you for all your spilled beans. 

I'm also not going to apologize for all these bean/(possibly)fart/bowl/chili metaphors. Happy New Year!

I PRAISE YOU BECAUSE I AM FEARFULLY AND WONDERFULLY MADE; 
YOUR WORKS ARE WONDERFUL, I KNOW THAT FULL WELL. -Psalm 139:14

DECEMBER


No comments:

Post a Comment