Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spring Reading

"My heart's broken," he thought. "If I feel this 
way, my heart must be broken."
- Men Without Women by Ernest Hemingway page 116
(My heart's not actually broken, even if I feel 
this way. Still beating and still pumping.)

 
In the morning, Mr. Rose chose to rest his magic hands 
between trees; he came up to Homer who was 
working as a checker in the orchard called 
Frying Pan, counting the one-bushel crates before 
they were loaded on the flatbed trailer and 
giving every picker credit for each bushel picked. 
- The Cider House Rules by John Irving page 326
(I want to give credit where credit is due, 
for every bushel picked.)

Genius is said to be self-conscious; I cannot tell
whether Miss Ingram was a genius, but she was
self-conscious -- remarkably self-conscious indeed.
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte page 198
(Flamingos remind me of graceful geniuses.)

I was smack in the middle of this interesting war.
There were social overtones too that I'll explain.
- On the Road by Jack Kerouac
(There's always more to anyone's battle.)

My dear child, What I would like best would be to
send you my secret thoughts with a white dove. But
they are all out of white doves in Lebanon.
- Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder
(I miss being a kid and having secret thoughts.)

Going south we watched spring unroll like a
proper novel...when we drove back, we read
from back to front
- Fiction by Lisel Mueller
(I miss this.)
 
 Don't be square and don't be a stranger.

No comments:

Post a Comment