Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Peace and Power

The power goes out, and it's so peaceful. I can hear the crickets outside. It's funny how I "hear" peace. How peace can pertain to each sense. I hear crickets. I see love given in the world. I touch a young child in a hug. I taste food in my mouth - I'm nourished. I smell the wildflowers in a meadow. I feel God working in and around me. But, the power comes back on. Now the TV, a fan, the radio, the computer, the air conditioning. I can't sense the original outside world anymore.

I wonder if it is initially good to feel, in a world of convenience. But of course, so much easier. I baked cookies today. It took me less than a half hour. 10 minutes to heat. Another 15 minutes to delicious melt-in-your-mouth goodness. So quick, so clean, so effortless. It's inevitable...we are forced to move forward with the ease, the technology, and the complexity of the system. But here's something to think about. Are people prepared for their loss of power? We all know there is potential. Sometimes I dream about people running around in chaos, not knowing how to survive off the land, not knowing what to do without their damn cell phone when the inside world has consumed us and empowered us for so long. What happens when we lose power?

But I do have faith in humankind. I'm just not sure how to share it.

On a positive note, I found these few words the other day. Dare I say, uplifting and inspiring. The idea so simple, the questions complex. Here is one way to the answer.

"We all know that there are regions of the human spirit untrammeled by the world of physics. In the mystic sense of the creation around us, in the expression of art, in a yearning towards God, the soul grows upward and finds the fulfillment of something implanted in its nature. The sanction for this development is within us, a striving born with our consciousness or an Inner Light proceeding from a greater power than ours. Science can scarcely question this sanction, for the pursuit of science springs from a striving which the mind is impelled to follow, a questioning that will not be suppressed. Whether in the intellectual pursuits of science or in the mystical pursuits of the spirit, the light beckons ahead and the purpose surging within our nature responds."
-Sir Arthur Eddington

There it is. Hope, faith, love. And peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment